Sunday 23 September 2007

My Chinese Ink-Wash Painting (I)


What do I do in China besides blogging? I also paint - from time to time.

A Chinese painter and painting teacher was recommended to me for taking lessons in traditional Chinese ink-wash painting. She even speaks English and came to my house every week. She is a strict teacher and was not very happy with me being a bit too lazy, not painting enough... She said, if I want to become a painter, I have to exercise every day. - I was flattered about her deeming it possible that I ever could becoming a painter... well, I know, I have some talent, but still painting is a craft that needs to be learned.

The picture above shows my work. The teacher made me copy a painting by Qi BaiShi, one of the greatest Chinese painters.

---------------------------------
BTW, today was the last day of the Art Beijing 2007. It was all about modern art. Flashy colours, political correct and expensive. It was interesting to see paintings, photography and installations from so many different artists exhibited by even more different galleries. But after leaving the exhibition hall I had mixed feelings. Somehow sad to see how commercial the art business is. But can a 'starving painter' live from 'l'art pour l'art'?

2 comments:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Holy cow! Your painting is just beautiful!

- Susan - said...

Hi Maryam,
thank you for recognizing my 'sleeping' talent ;-)

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs